Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Millionaire Quest: My Introduction To The Stock Market

Some years ago, I had a bright idea for getting rich. I stumbled upon the idea when I was working at a trading company, doing software development. During that time I had to frequently view trading screens, watching the movements of stocks. It then occurred to me, that there is plenty of money to be made here. All I have to do is buy low, and sell high. It was a sure plan.

So, as a man of action, I promptly sent in the paperwork and got my trading account set up. Excitedly, I placed my first trade. After a couple days, I sold my shares and made a profit of about $50. That might sound small to some of you, but it was a good percentage return (I forget how much now). So things were going according to plan.

Of course, the way my mind works, I started to get more ideas. I figured if I were to buy more shares, and take advantage of the intraday changes (ie. the price movements within a day -so buying low and selling high multiple times in a day), I could significantly accelerate my progress to riches.

I sat down with a colleague of mine, and we worked things out. We did some paper trading, just to test things out. I quickly transferred more money into my trading account. I was all set.

I don't remember the details of each trade that first day, but it went so different from the plan. I was now in the red. Not one to give up, I persevered and as the days went by, I got deeper into the red.

I will continue the saga of my stock market experience in future entries. One lesson I learnt from this beginning though, was that the market had a conscious mind. It knows what you're up to, and it's aim is to thwart your plans. I knew then that it had deliberately given me a decent first trade, and a few successes here and there, just to suck me in. Boy did it suck me in!

No comments: